19 May 2009

Ambition

Thinking about our ambition that we were requested to fill up back in SMP and even primary school. I wonder whether anyone of us has achieved it. I am really curious about it.

One fine day when I was around 6-7 years old, my grandma asked my cousin and I what were our ambitions. My cousin proudly said "Doctor". I also proudly said "Soldier". I bet all the adults were impressed with my cousin's ambition but not mine. In fact upon reaching home in Kangar, I was scolded by my mother, "People's son want to be a doctor! You want to be a soldier? Eat bullets?". I was crazy about the TV series, Combat! So, I was influenced by it.

Eventually, the ambition evolved from a soldier into an artist. Again, my mother was not happy. She said, "Artist? Wait till you die only you may be famous...or maybe not". I loved drawing those days especially cartoons. Then, an artist is again being evolved into a scientist. Again, I was criticised with "All scientists are mad". I actually admired Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Isaac Newton, etc. I was also crazy about astronomy and curious about our universe/UFO. I stopped revealing my ambition to my parents after that, knowing that I would never gain any support.

In the secondary school, all my ambitions were kept as secrets from my parents. I had ridiculous ambition such as a singer (actually I wanted to be a Heavy Metal singer with long hair but I sang like a frog...haha), an astronomer (carried on from my scientist ambition), an actor (a comedian actually), a pilot (to be exact it's air force), a sailor (a navy actually), a DJ (I loved radio), etc

All those exciting ambitions I didn't came close to achieve at all, except for one that I went on to the radio show because of my DJ friend's help. It was not a career anyway...it's a hobby.

This photo is for YY & PL who made me vomited blood till 2am the other day..hehehe:


Sometimes, when I read the cartoon of Calvin and Hobbes, it reminds me of myself. I had my imaginary friends including headless ones, armless ones, legless ones, I also imagined my family members as baddies etc. Lately I have been thinking that my life could be more exciting if I am a biologist exploring the jungle. I guess my "God mother" aka Puan Cheah might have cultivated her biology into my brain...haha. I loved biology comparing with other science subjects because of a teacher who treated me well with her encouragement. I hated chemistry because I had a teacher that discouraged me. I hope those who have their own kids will give more support to the kids instead of discouraging them.

So, what were your ambitions when you were schooling?

5 comments:

yy said...

从小我的志愿是当一名教师,而我确实在等待STPM成绩的两三个月里到A/S的一所小学当代课老师,之后,我毅然把这个志愿丢掉,因为了解到现在的小孩真的很恐怖,已经不像我们小时候那样听话又可爱。
现在,我的志愿是当一名家庭主妇,对现代的女性来说,你敢讲这不是最伟大的志愿吗?Hihi..!

Umbrella Rec said...

YY, it will be so simple if your ambition was housewife last time. The teachers didn't have to think about how to help you to achieve your ambition anymore...except for finding you a good husband...hahaha. For guys, maybe becoming "little white face" (translate to Mandarin to get the actual meaning) will simplify things too.

出張ホスト said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
家出 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
倶楽部 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.