07 May 2009

Life after SMP

Since I was urging you to write about yourself after Form 5, let me start writing about myself as "appetiser" :) You may add yourself at the bottom of this article.

Right after Form 5, after shaking legs for a while, I decided to take up a temporary job as a store keeper in one of the supermarkets (I cannot recall the name) in Kangar. That lasted me only a few months to generate a bit of income. Our friend, Kean Keong, used to visit me there quite often when I was bored to death with the job. Then I went for Form 6 art stream in Kangar. Again, it lasted only 1 month. I decided to go to Tunku Abdul Rahman, K.L. for the certificate course in Computer Studies. Those days I "tumpang" Chwing Churn's rented house in Taman Genting for several months before moving out and making myself like a fugitive moving from one place to another. After 2 years of taking up the certificate course that wasted my time, I didn't meet their 30% quota system for promotion to Diploma/Degree. I took my Diploma in Computer Studies at ICL instead and followed by Higher Diploma in Software Engineering at Asia Pacific Institute of Technology. After working as a programmer for one year, I went for my Degree in Information Systems in England. In England, I was an odd Asian because all the curiculum activities (Goth Society & Radio Society) I joined only consisted of one Asian - myself. During my college years, I was staying with Wen Shyang for a number of years in Taman Melawati.

I still cannot believe that I got stuck in programming for more than 10 years because I actually hate programming. I won't talk much about my day job because it's boring. Got myself a girlfriend and married eventually. No kid.

In recent years, I consider myself hitting a mid life crisis. I got fed up of my job. My love for alternative music eventually led me to get myself involved in local underground music industry. It's something I wanted to do before I die. Yeah, I love music genre such as punk rock, indie, industrial, lo-fi, grunge, alternative-country, etc. Music is my first love! This industry eventually led me to get involved in helping out my DJ friend in an English radio station, Traxx FM, in her rock show. I also tried to run a music related cafe with some friends but it didn't work out. Being fed up of the local music industry, I turn into my second love - tropical freshwater fishes. Anyway, I am still stuck with my day job in IT industry...."cari makan"!!

L.S.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

老帅哥 said...

Lau Sai, 我还记得,你在中学时最喜欢Duran-Duran的。当时,如果我有他们的poster我都会留给你,对吗?
你这个红毛屎,从来没有和我们一起听中文歌的。。。。。

Umbrella Rec said...

Uncle Lai, exactly! You are right! I was crazy about this band. In fact I continued listening to them till the 90s. If I asked for the posters today, I think people will mistaken me as a gay..haha. I also remember "tumpang" you to order cassettes for me from Singapore I think - music that I could not find in Kangar. Glad your memory is still good :)