21 August 2009

Ghost


Since it's Hungry Ghost Festival now. Let's pay a tribute to the other side of the world. :)

I think many of you are aware that the housing area next to SMP was infamous as a haunted area by now. A Malay man used to tell us that a lot of people were killed or committed suicide in that area during Second World War. The house I used to live had two trees (one in front and one at the back). Both were suicide spots for 2 Malay ladies. I wonder whether the current occupants of the houses in that area still encounter anything abnormal. Maybe the ghosts are more scared of human now. Imagining how bad human behaves these days. Any idea?

In the 80s, there were also some houses in Taman Perlis known to be haunted. Those houses are still being occupied today. I wonder what has happened to the ghosts?

At Jalan Raja Syed Alwi, I also heard about a haunted shophouse not far away from a former Chinese temple (I think the temple is gone now). During Hungry Ghost Festival, the occupants often heard people knocking on their back door. I think there was a suicide case before in that shophouse.

In the Kangar town, there was a shop that exploded before I was born. I still remember my former tuition teacher told me that he narrowly escaped from the explosion by firecrackers sold in the shop - as he just walked out of the shop, the shop exploded and his friend died in the incident. I wonder whether there's anything funny in that area. I am aware of the exact spot. It's not far from CC's shop.

The junction near the Kangar General Hospital where the traffic light was located, it was known to be haunted too. It was known to be an accident hot spot many years ago before the traffic light existed. Someone claimed that he saw the "thing" at the junction during a rainy day.

Please share your stories if you have any.

4 comments:

Liew said...

Lian Siang,

You should be a tour guide.
Then you can promote Kangar to become a alternative tourist spot.

How about the following slogan:
(1)"Do you have the"eye"? Know it in Kangar"
(2)"Wandering around Kangar, you never know what you will get."
(3)"1Malaysia, dead or alive"

hmmmm......

Umbrella Rec said...

San Siang,

That will be fun. A ghost hunting trip that does not guarantee you will see "things". Just like the one in London, Boston & Edinburg. Set up a headquarter in Penang. Then I can bring them to see the cemetaries in Penang and Perlis. I need Penang because that's one of the World Heritage. Someone is already doing that in KL. I heard near Seremban has a beautiful cemetary too. I actually think it's educational to visit cemetaries - you can see the life span of the people at different eras, imagine their lives, etc.

In "ang moh" countries, it's very normal for them to visit cemetaries during a tour. I visited cemetaries in Boston and Penang too. I like the cemetary where Francis Light was buried but have to beware of snakes lah.

Burnet Ct.'s Corner said...

World War II Memorial at Washington DC, National Japanese American Memorial To Patriotism During World War II‎, National September 11 Memorial‎, are some of the many cemeteries in the US!

Cemeteries help you to learn about the history of the place, I believe.

leeza

Umbrella Rec said...

LeeZa, exactly. It's so unfortunate that majority of us Asians don't see that. Asking someone to visit a cemetery is like a taboo. I actually visited a cemetery in Penang with my sister a few days after CNY :) I was glad to learn that the British pioneers average age were around late 30s to 40s. Most of them died of Malaria and other tropical disease. Comparing with them, I think we are very lucky today.